faith

Now Faith is the Substance of things Hoped for,
The Evidence of things Unseen...

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Independence Day

Painting by Albert Goodwin, courtesy of Art Renewal Online.

So, after a very busy week of visiting and visitors (I LOVE y'all!!!), we and our company took a drive up to the Blue Ridge Parkway. And we watched folks celebrating our nation's independence both in Virginia and North Carolina. There were many people who had the same idea. From up on the parkway, there are spots where you can see for miles and the fireworks this year were so great. Veterans' Park in Mount Airy (Mayberry) had a spectacular show and their finale looked like a fireworks volcano from up where we were. It was really an amazing thing, one I haven't done in years. See, Surry County is like a bowl surrounded by mountains. And all around the ridges and all through the valleys, the folks were celebrating with fireworks. It was a very happy experience. We sang the Star Spangled Banner, couldn't help it- and my husband said that everyone got quiet and just listened like a spell was over them. I didn't know, I was just singing. But after, we laughed with all the other watchers and enjoyed the late shows.

For the first time in who knows how long, there were no parades in Wythe County. And, for the first time in 40 years, Galax didn't have their usual 4th of July carnival. I'm just glad we were able to experience it with the kids. And my husband was such a good sport about it all. I didn't know till after everyone went home that he had a terrible migraine.

Mama and my oldest brother had a trip to NC's Stone Mountain today. It's a great site, and one that I used to enjoy hiking very much. But, I tell ya, it felt so good to be on the parkway again.

There's this really sweet Christian lady who's been a real paragon of the faith who now has alsheimers, please pray for her.

Well, I reckon that's all for now. God Bless America!

2 comments:

  1. Parades must be getting to be a thing of the past around here.Hillsvile's parade was only 23 minutes long. My daughter timed it. No Scout Troops either . It sad because another old tradition seems to be biting the dust .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I'd known about the Hillsville parade- I'd have gone- even if it was short. Mama said they had a Mayberry celebration on Main Street in Mount Airy, too.
    And who knows, maybe some of the old things will come back- it's just that so many don't know about them. They might embrace the old paths if someone shared the old paths with them...

    ReplyDelete