faith

Now Faith is the Substance of things Hoped for,
The Evidence of things Unseen...

Friday, July 24, 2009

Broccoli Wars. Is there such a thing as Neutrality?

(picture is Aramanth, Princess of Shadows from deviantart.com. They have some nice stuff over there, just be careful.)

Ok, first of all to answer comments- Amy, you are brave and appreciated. God bless you and your little ones and your sweetie.
"J", I do not think that remaining neutral puts me in the "lying lips" category.

Ok, I do like broccoli. Sometimes I even crave it. My son tried to block the freezer case at Sam's tonight so I wouldn't buy any, but I muscled him out of the way and bought it anyway (he's bigger than me). I put 7 sprigs of it in the fried rice, large enough so the two BMBD members in the house would not accidentally get any. And they were okay with that once I explained.

When my husband had cancer, I used to blend up the broccoli and sneak it in things like very spicy chili and spaghetti sauce. When he found out, he did not eat my cooking unless it was obviously meat or potatoes (fried or baked, he didn't trust the mashed since he busted me putting a turnip in the blender). BUT, I did not tell him about it until the cancer was gone. And it did go away. Did God use the broccoli to help heal him? Does it need hot spices, oregano and garlic to work? I know not, but for that reason I'll eat it and keep it around.
It did not come up in the garden, or if it did, the bunnies ate it. So, I'll stick with the frozen kind.

So, I have a very special prayer request. Please help me pray about it. And it has nothing to do with broccoli, though if it works, I'll be trying to eat more of it for health reasons.

So, am I now like the Princess of Shadows at the top of the page? Outcast? I reckon it's the nature of broccoli to demand one take sides. It apparently will not abide indifference. But, as a mom with children split into two camps, I feel like I must remain neutral. Would I cry if there was no broccoli? Probably not. Would I eat it in rebellion if it was made illegal? Probably so; I don't like dumb laws very much. (Smart laws= good. Dumb laws= unnecessary and often bad.)

Now, on to other things. Ray Comfort Ministries http://www.livingwaters.com has some really good stuff. You should check it out. Also, if you're curious about the Bible, here's another good site: http://www.carm.org/christianity/bible
I don't know why, but links don't underline in blue anymore. It's annoying.

Well, the church search goes on. We attended a really nice little one nestled in the mountains the other day. It's worth a second go. We're just looking for a church that resembles the first century churches. Fine if it's in a house or if it's in a building. But, we seek one that is Bible believing, loving, seeking God, learning, mentoring/discipling, full of the fruit of the Spirit (faith, hope, love, joy, temperance, longsuffering, etc.). That sort of thing is what I mean by 1st century. And I'll be honest, I think those churches were so great because of the Jewish believers there. We really messed up on that deal. I am not looking for sign gifts or wacky stuff, and I know it's out there. I hope I'll find it and be able to be a part of it again. Yes, once before I found a church like that, but the devil destroyed it to smithereens. It took awhile to find, so I know to be patient and diligent. Even if I have to wait for God to build one, no problem. He has no trouble bringing believers together when they are praying and seeking His face.

Now, I know, all believers are the Church. It doesn't take a special building or denomination. We're to let God shine through us whether or not we have a building to meet in. Bloom where we're planted and remember that every day is a mission field. Remember why we're saved. Gee, why would that be? Well, because if we've broken just one of God's laws (lying, cheating, stealing, dishonouring our parents, taken God's name in vain, to name a bare few) then we have a crime against our record. we're guilty before a holy God and guess what the sentence is? Yep, eternity in Hell. ETERNITY. FOREVER. Torment, suffering, blackness, alone, no escape. It's justice. And since God is not willing that ANY should perish, He sent His only begotten Son to bear our punishment- and He (Yeshua or Jesus) bore it willingly out of love for us. Then He rose from the dead to show us that we, too will have glorified bodies and can live forever (that's right- immortals! how cool is that?) if we accept that payment He made in our behalf.
That's what Christ means- Messiah- SAVIOUR. Not a cuss word. Not a mean thing to shout at someone. That is what we need to remember. We're not better than anyone. We are ALL sinners. We have ALL broken God's laws. We ALL deserve hell for breaking God's laws. Jesus' death and resurrection put us in a saveable position. If ANYONE seeks Him, He will give you the faith to accept that gift of salvation. Salvation= SAVED from eternity in Hell as just punishment for breaking God's laws.
And does keeping the law save you? NO. Because none of us DO. But, if we are saved, we should do our best to follow His rules if for no other reason than that of GRATITUDE.

Ok, that part's done. Here are the Ten Commandments that are so controversial these days.

I am the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.

7 Thou shalt have none other gods before me.

8 Thou shalt not make thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the waters beneath the earth:

9 Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me,

10 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me and keep my commandments.

11 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain: for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

12 Keep the sabbath day to sanctify it, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee.

13 Six days thou shalt labour, and do all thy work:

14 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thine ox, nor thine ass, nor any of thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates; that thy manservant and thy maidservant may rest as well as thou.

15 And remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and that the LORD thy God brought thee out thence through a mighty hand and by a stretched out arm: therefore the LORD thy God commanded thee to keep the sabbath day.

16 Honour thy father and thy mother, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee; that thy days may be prolonged, and that it may go well with thee, in the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

17 Thou shalt not kill.

18 Neither shalt thou commit adultery.

19 Neither shalt thou steal.

20 Neither shalt thou bear false witness against thy neighbour.

21 Neither shalt thou desire thy neighbour's wife, neither shalt thou covet thy neighbour's house, his field, or his manservant, or his maidservant, his ox, or his ass, or any thing that is thy neighbour's.

(These are out of Deuteronomy, the restatement of those in Exodus.)

They seem to make a lot of sense, and really our consciences let us know the same things.

Well, I'm off. Going to spend some time with the kids.

ttfn

1 comment:

  1. I don't think there will ever be neutrality in the broccoli wars. I will continue to fight for the veggie and others in the family will fight against it. I was told if I bring broccoli to my brother's, I would be barred at the door, even though my dear, sweet, sis-in-law loves the stuff. How cruel to keep it from her!

    So, I'll push onward hoping that broccoli will be the lifesaver you proved it to be to others in the family. Sometimes medicine is hard to swallow, right? In this case, however, for me, it's not.

    I'm still on my lemon kick. Still no cold or allergy symptoms. I eat a lemon a day, if I can. It's much higher in Vit C and other anti-oxidents than oranges, believe it or not.

    I ordered a homeopathic arthritis med today. I'm tired of the drugs I'm on, and I'm desperate because the pain is so constant any more. I can barely walk even with a walker. I just feel like my legs are broken (they're not), so while the back is doing well, I need to find something to fix up the knees.

    I really want to to to Italy next year with your mom and our cousin Betty, but I have to be able to walk a lot better than I walk now.

    I know I am to pray that God will heal my knees, so I'm doing that, but how long do I have to beg our Lord for his healing grace on me?

    Well, I must toddle and wobble out to the kitchen and get Alan and me some lunch. You don't have to publish any of this if you don't want. J

    ReplyDelete