faith

Now Faith is the Substance of things Hoped for,
The Evidence of things Unseen...

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Evil Broccoli?

Is there anything nicer than a child studying of his or her own free will? Here are two of them. Cute, ain't they? Yes, those are a bunch of "For Dummies" books on the shelf. No "Gardening for Dummies", though.
And another day. Blurry and unflattering. I do not like this camera at all. It took me 25 pictures to get two clear ones of miscellaneous children studying. The one below was interrupting laundry detail. Really, the couch is not usually decorated with odd socks.

Well, Lori. You did it. My youngest asked if he could join your "I Hate Broccoli" Fan Club. You'll have to let me know. He used to like it raw and dipped in Ranch, but then I was calling it baby trees (oh, deceiver me!)- once he found out it was broccoli, he started begging not to be made to eat it. Since my husband was an early proponent of broccoli banning, it wasn't like I was going to make him eat it. My husband said that would be cruel- yes, and he said it in front of the kids. So my son at least equates broccoli with cruelty and the curse of the earth. And he thinks you should add cauliflower, cabbage, and squash to your list of evil vegetables. Well, I'm planting it anyway! It works better than grounding for a misbehavior correcting device. Evil? Maybe...
*
No, if you haven't looked at the broccoli BLOG post from Because Two People Fell In Love (Link to the side), you should. My cousin ought to be a professional writer.
*
Well, I spent most of the afternoon on the phone with schools. But, I did at least get my roses and a few baby trees planted with help from my daughter. My son's project is using the rocks from the garden to make a border around the house. Lots of rocks build up when a spot hasn't been plowed in over 50 years. We're hoping to get an earlier start and get more veggies in the ground tomorrow. Including broccoli. Hey, ya think that's what keeps stalling the planting?? Is it really a broccoli conspiracy? ;-)
*
So, at the moment the kids are doing their evening study time. I need to get to mine, too. But... I gotta share with you about the nice walk my neighbor took me on. We moved in too late in the summer for me to see all of her flowers. They were so lovely! And so now we're doing a plant exchange thing which is really nice. She has Clemantis which are much bigger than they look in the catalogues. Also Yellow Rose of Texas, Bridal Wreath, Zinnias, Money Plant, and all sorts of Roses and other lovelies. It was really a sweet visit.
*
And my husband calls me from work and puts me on hold for 20 minutes... He is such a nutcase!
*
My Mama made me this nice book in case my head injury acted up and I forgot what my life was about. It was one of those things that was so precious that it makes you cry. The woman missed her calling. She should make memory books for folks in nursing homes and such. That or work for Hallmark.
*
Well, I reckon I'd better skedaddle. Y'all have a good week now!
Rose


3 comments:

  1. Re: Broccoli: Warning, watch out for worms. You can't see them, but they may be there. I loved broccoli until my neighbor gave me tons of freshly picked broccoli and I didn't know that washing it was not enough. When I par-boiled it the worms floated to the top of the pot. I was off broccoli for years because of the worms. So when you clean it, clean it in heavily salted water, just in case.

    I notice that your son resembles Jamie a lot. Cute kid.

    And yes, your mom is very talented. I wish she had more time to do things like memory books for her older friends. I think her main drawback for doing things is the time element.

    Take care, and remind your son that broccoli is a vegetable that helps in prevent cancer. I really have to agree with him on the raw cauliflower bit, but cooked it's fine. In fact, on the boat they made mashed cauliflower mixed with potatoes, and it was a wonderful dish.

    ttfn

    ReplyDelete
  2. That TOTALLY just made my morning!!! Tell him that he is welcomed with open arms into our club. :-) I'm so excited we have a new member!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! Not another anti-broccolian! How very sad. I keep telling Lori how wonderfully yummy broccoli is but she just won't believe me. I like seeing the pictures of your kids. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete