faith

Now Faith is the Substance of things Hoped for,
The Evidence of things Unseen...

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Long Time

Hello, Everyone! :-)

I'm sorry it's been so long since I posted. I get a headache if I'm on my computer too long. Recovering still from a blooming head injury. Yes, I took a tumble down a long set of concrete stairs and landed on my head. Good thing I'm a Baptist or I'd've been hurt bad. (Baptists are known for being hard-headed for any of you that don't know any personally ;) )

Anyway, I just want to wish everybody a very merry Christmas! I hope to post more between now and then, but I'm having to ease back into it. My typing skills are still horrible and train of thought is still whispy and smoke-like. But, glory to God (and THANKS so much, too!!) I am seeing improvements from how it was.

Kids are great, husband's great. Christmas crafts and Spirit are abounding. A tradition we have at Christmas is to read one or two young children's books (from when the kids were little) each day. It is great. Also, we read a part of Dickens' Cricket on the Hearth each year. Maybe this year we'll finish it. That poor blind girl! And how funny that the grouchy old guy just completely doesn't get it at all. He was one heck of a writer.

My record player is on the fritz, so our usual tradition of listening to 50s Christmas records from the A&P has been thwarted. But, never fear. I found some CDs, so we can still have Christmas music. The songs from the British Isles are especially beautiful, and Bing Crosby sounds just as good on CD as on record. I don't have any Andy Williams this year, though. :-( That's a tradition like the 50s records that I brought with me from my Mama. Ah, well. Maybe I can get some from eBay. I have to say, I wish I had one of the old low-tech wind up kind of record players. And a bunch of extra needles. I love those old gadgets that didn't use electricity or computer chips. Like that old Fisher Price movie viewer. The kids thought that was the neatest thing. Sure, they love the tech, but they were really impressed that you could watch a movie by turning a crank. And that it was still good after years in a box.

Another tradition we have is we follow the 12 days of Christmas by opening a present from on the tree each of the days with a special one on Twelfth Night (Orthodox Christmas). We also celebrate Hannaka, even if we can't spell it. The Maccabee Story is awesome so long as you leave off the very end of it. We usually end with the 8 days of light. "FREEDOM!!!"

Well, that's about all for me for now. Have a WONDERFUL holiday season whichever of the holidays you celebrate. Thank you, Jesus!

JRS

3 comments:

  1. Well, Jennie and family, you have a busy month, and I'm sure it is very enjoyable. I'm so glad that you and your children can set your own traditions separate from those of the Drexler family traditions. I'll be thinking of you this month as you open those 12-day gifts, enjoy Advent, and Hannakah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do we share any of the traditions? Mama never talked about them. Ever. I don't know if we ever had many traditions at my house outside of the Christmas music (Johnny Mathis, Andy Williams, Nat King Cole, and the A&P records, plus the Nutcracker and Messiah in the classical category). We'd open gifts on Christmas morning, but open the special ornament on Christmas Eve and put it on the tree.
    Maybe that's why she didn't tell about it, maybe her memory was like mine is- extremely spotty!
    God Bless You!!!!!!!!!!!!
    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I forgot, we also had a really great advent calendar. I loved that- it was so pretty! Hmm, maybe I should do a post on that stuff next time.
    heehee. Mom will be biting her nails.
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete